180 Bulloch Avenue
National Register of Historic Places
Roswell King persuaded his old friend, Major James Stephens Bulloch to join his new settlement. Bulloch, his wife Martha Stewart Elliott Bulloch, six children, and four of their slaves left their home in Savannah in the spring of 1838 and set out on the 300-mile journey to Roswell. The Bulloch family joined the Kings in the “castle” until their home was finished. Inspired by the ancient Greek Parthenon, Bulloch built his beloved Bulloch Hall with four towering columns and an immense front verandah on a point west of the park overlooking Willeo Creek and the valley beyond. It was in this grand home, that James and Martha’s daughter, Mittie Bulloch, married Theodore Roosevelt Sr. on December 22, 1853.
Bulloch Hall is owned by the City of Roswell, and operated as a house museum. Open to the public for tours, the historic Greek Revival mansion, built in 1840, is furnished with authentic period furniture, and includes a Museum Room which focuses on the history of the Bulloch Family. There are reconstructed slave quarters on the property, along with lovely gardens, and a museum shop.
For more information: BullochHall.org